Let’s be specific with a self care practice that really helps your body heal, maintain, and protect as it was made to do.
*Skip to the bottom if you’re just here for the recipes! But I really just can’t tell you what to do without a little background info. Detox baths have been a great weekly practice for our entire household. What’s easier than dumping a cup of something into the bath and letting kids play by getting health benefits?!
BENEFITS OF A DETOX BATH
Detox baths are a great way to:
• Support the immune system
• Promote relaxation and sleep
• Flush toxins from the body
• Promote healthy circulation
• Increase concentration
What do you think of first when you hear “detox”? Most people will answer “weight loss”. But detox goes way beyond weight loss. If you are having a hard time losing weight have you considered it could be toxic overload in your body? Pesticides, fragrances in skin care products and in your environment that you breath in, and PCBs (industrial chemicals not allowed to be used today but are still present in our every day environment). Eliminating these toxins are good through clean eating and ditching toxic skin care products.
BUT… we can’t exactly undo what’s already been added to our environment by industrial use (breathed in) or pesticides used on or near our foods.
Detox simply means purifying the blood. Your blood is like a freeway of elimination between your organs. Most specifically your liver, but also your kidneys, intestines, lungs, skin, and lymphatic system. We can’t exactly cleanse our blood, but we can institute wellness practices that hurry along this elimination process.
Before you fly to the store shelves to purchase a bath bomb to soak in, ask yourself if items containing artificial dyes, fragrances, or PEGs are what you want soaked into your skin? If you’ve done your research, your answer is NOPE! The goal with a detox bath is to HELP your body, not hinder it’s natural processes. Here’s a briefing:
•Artificial Dyes- Entering your bloodstream which can lead to allergy like symptoms and skin irritation or more.
• Fragrances- known link to endocrine aka hormone disruption and an umbrella term for 3,000+ ingredients that are not disclosed and most likely are not safe
• PEGs- petroleum based ingredient that is a known carcinogen/cancer causing
Bath bombs and bubble baths aren’t detoxing your body! But minerals found in their most natural state are.
Your Choice of Addition:
1. Epsom Salts: make sure they’re labeled USP.
2. Seaweed: seems strange, but I prefer this.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar: local on tap at Earth Fare or online.
4. Baking Soda: great choice for kids.
5. Mineral Salts: most effective if we already aren’t feeling well.
Besides cost, consider how you feel in a bath with your choice from above.
These baths aren’t to treat symptoms necessarily. Think of them as preventative. For kids, do a weekly detox bath. Working to support a certain body system, work your way up to nightly detox baths.
• Skip the soap and shampoo on detox bath nights. Let the oils and minerals/salts do their work without adding on products to their skin.
• Sip on water throughout your soak.
• Since the bath will help relax, these are best done at night to promote sleep.
Now, the fun part! Adding in essential oils to your bath for maximum benefit.
• Nighttime- Lavender and Cedarwood
• Calm- Tangerine or Lemon
• Winter Wellness- Peppermint, Thieves, or Rosemary
• After Workout- PanAway or Valor
• Chill, Momma- Stress Away
• Breathe- Eucalyptus or Peppermint
• Clear Head- Rosemary or Roman Chamomile
Young Living is always my preferred choice of essential oils. I have used them for many years and help others walk into the ease of aromatherapy use in their daily life. If you’re wanting to purchase with me as your mentor, I would be happy for you to follow my link to order. Choose “wholesale” for 24% discount and your choice of oil kits with diffuser + option to order anything you want with your continued discount.