Back a decade ago when it was just me and a baby I didn’t have a clue on how to care for, I found discovered the secrets of our ancestors. There are generations that had gone before me raising babies without tv’s, car seats, and used plants for healing! Go figure! So I ditched the car seat, unplugged the tv and started making Elderberry Syrup! Kidding… people who make potions in their kitchen aren’t completely ignorant to safety rules and love a good thirty minute babysitting tv sesh. But this plant healing thing… I was on board! It took one suggestion for my hacking baby to use cough syrup for me to find an alternative that wasn’t going to have side effects. ODLY ENOUGH, later on in 2008 the FDA retracted and said OTC cough syrups should NOT be given to kids under 2. Glad I went with my Momma gut feeling!
Enter Elderberry Syrup! Y’all, I cannot tell you that this will cure anything or prevent anything. Not a doctor or a scientist. But here’s some research for you to check out on the efficacy and effectiveness of using elderberry.
Oil Infused Elderberry Syrup
-2/3 cup dried organic elderberries (purchase from a local health food store or Amazon)
-3 1/2 cups of water
-1 cup of raw local honey
-8 drops Cinnamon Bark Vitality
-6 drops Clove Vitality
-4 drops Ginger Vitality
1. In a medium saucepan add your water and elderberries.
2. Bring to a boil.
3. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for about 45 minutes or until the liquid is reduced by half.
4. While your berries simmer, mix your vitality oils into your honey.
5. When your syrup is reduced, remove from heat and let cool enough to handle.
6. Mash berries with a spoon and pour through a strainer. You can also use a cheese cloth to strain the juice from the berries. Discard the berries.
7. When no longer hot, stir in your honey and a couple tablespoons of bee pollen.
8. Store in a mason jar in the fridge.
HOW TO USE: Kids will take a teaspoon as needed when not feeling well or when around others that are sickly.
How much should you use? That’s up to you! I’ll personally using a tablespoon a day starting… yesterday. #ragweedseason
Why add oils? Flavor! Plus the extra benefits they add to our immune system.
Any other questions? Comment for me to help ya out! Subscribe so you don’t miss a post.
No oils in your cabinet? Get 24% off here. Choose your favorite Starter Kit, and I’ll send you a gift!